I don’t find out about you, however I’ve an actual habit to the superfood underdog AKA pink cabbage. I’m undecided when the cabbage obsession actually began (possibly it was from this salad) however now I’m principally satisfied that cabbage must be in EVERYTHING. Together with this epic wholesome coleslaw recipe.
Each pink and inexperienced cabbages assist promote a wholesome intestine (which is what we’re all about today), struggle irritation, enhance your immunity, and comprise loads of vitamins your physique wants. CABBAGE PATCH PARTY.
My favourite factor about cabbage isn’t simply the vitamin although. It’s the epic CRUNCH it provides salads and slaws. It’s addicting and I can’t cease placing it in recipes.
Is coleslaw wholesome?
Whereas coleslaw is de facto simply made up of a bunch of crunchy, colourful greens, conventional coleslaw recipes are normally coated in dressings made up of mayo and sugar. On this wholesome, paleo coleslaw recipe we’re skipping the mayo fully and tossing the entire beautiful veggies with a tangy, barely candy dressing made with apple cider vinegar and easy elements to maintain the coleslaw vegan and dairy free.
Enjoyable truth: I beloved coleslaw as a bit woman. I’d ask for giant bowls of it with plenty of black pepper. Dad made a selfmade model with plenty of mayo. This model isn’t Dad’s however IT IS for all you millennials. Heh.
Components in wholesome coleslaw
This unbelievable wholesome coleslaw recipe makes use of contemporary elements to create a crunchy, brilliant gut-friendly coleslaw with out mayo or sugar. It isn’t your typical coleslaw. It’s a bit candy, a bit spicy, and higher than that soggy white coleslaw they serve at eating places. You’ll want:
- Produce: I like utilizing each pink and inexperienced cabbage for additional crunch and quite a lot of flavors. Then we’re additionally including shredded carrots, jalapeño for a kick of warmth, inexperienced onion for a bit zippiness, and contemporary cilantro.
- Nuts: I like so as to add each pepitas (that are roasted pumpkin seeds) and toasted sliced almonds for an exquisite additional crunch with the entire veggies.
- Olive oil: a little bit of olive oil will assist the “dressing” coat all of these beautiful veggies within the coleslaw.
- Apple cider vinegar: use apple cider vinegar so as to add that tangy scrumptious taste present in coleslaw recipes. It’s additionally nice for intestine well being!
- Pure maple syrup: as an alternative of utilizing granulated sugar like in conventional coleslaw recipes, we’re simply utilizing a little bit of pure maple syrup to calmly sweeten the coleslaw. Be happy to regulate relying on how candy you prefer it.
- Garlic: a bit garlicky taste makes this wholesome coleslaw additional scrumptious.
- Cayenne pepper: add a pinch of cayenne for a bit additional warmth, or be happy to omit.
- Salt & pepper: to convey the entire flavors collectively.
The perfect wholesome coleslaw in 4 straightforward steps
- Add the entire coleslaw elements to a big bowl apart from the pepitas, almonds and dressing.
- In a smaller bowl, add your dressing elements and whisk to mix.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss effectively to mix. Style and alter seasonings if want be. Place the coleslaw within the fridge for at the least 1 hour to let the flavors marinate.
- Earlier than serving, add within the pepitas and toasted almonds and toss to mix.
Retailer this straightforward, wholesome coleslaw in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is a tremendous make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQs as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Recipes to pair with this wholesome coleslaw
Extra scrumptious aspect dishes
Get all of my aspect dish recipes right here!
In case you make this wholesome coleslaw recipe, be sure you tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d additionally love for those who would go away a remark beneath and fee the recipe. We recognize you! xo.
Greatest Wholesome Coleslaw Ever (no mayo!)
The BEST wholesome coleslaw made with contemporary purple cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and a kick of warmth from jalapeño. There isn’t any mayo or sugar, only a naturally candy and barely tangy dressing with a touch of pure maple syrup. This easy, wholesome coleslaw recipe is vegan, paleo & dairy free and ideal serving along with your favourite grilling recipes all summer season!
- For the slaw:
medium head of purple cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
medium head of inexperienced cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
heaping cups shredded carrots
finely chopped cilantro
jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
inexperienced onion (inexperienced half solely)
toasted sliced almonds
- For the dressing:
additional virgin olive oil
apple cider vinegar
pure maple syrup, relying how candy you want your slaw
garlic, finely minced
cayenne pepper, elective
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Add all of the elements for the slaw apart from the almonds and pepitas to a big bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively all of the elements for the dressing. Pour all around the slaw and toss effectively to mix. Style and alter seasonings as crucial. Cowl and place in fridge for at the least an hour to permit flavors to marinate collectively.
Earlier than serving, sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and pepitas; toss once more and serve.
The way to retailer coleslaw: retailer this coleslaw coated within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is a tremendous make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQ’s as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Servings: 8 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially revealed on Could 18th, 2020, and republished on Could twenty fifth, 2023.